Saturday, June 13, 2009

What do they know....those trees...

Earlier this week I was numbly standing at the kitchen sink looking out the window and saw misty, wet green...everywhere green...and gray. What seems like weeks of damp, gray, rainy days have made all of the anticipated colors of late spring seem tired already. The air conditioner has been on for awhile now so I stepped outside to try to breathe some "real" air. It was late and the moon, behind the haze, was full and I looked up into the tree because the light was reflecting from the moonlight, the house light and the city lights and it looked pretty cool. And then from some mysterious somewhere that I only dream about I heard the breeze blow through the tops of the trees far away from here, gently creeping its way into my tree and over me. What a fucking delight!!!

Which got me to thinking how trees have always been my favorate plant. Actually, plant is way too small a word to describe a tree. They are entirely to majestic and fragile to be a simple "plant". And let's face it, most of their scientific names sound like diseases. And with all the scientific, horiticultural, and botanical knowledge we know of trees, we all have wondered at one time or another -- oh, if only they could tell us their stories! They shade us from our discomforts, they color our world, they are mysterious, scary and dangerous...just like us...and some of the big ones are witnesses!

I have been very lucky - where ever I've lived there has been a gigantic tree outside my window to keep me company and to keep me grounded. Kind of kept me humble...in my place...and only hinted at the wisdom it would share if I only would listen to their stories.
The sound of the breeze traveling through the trees has always reminded me of the sound of the ocean visiting the beach...a soothing song...and the trees and the seas are singing the same song...and tonight they're singing their song to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment